Heating is something we can’t live without, especially when the days get shorter and the nights get colder. Boiler cover means that you can get assistance if your boiler breaks down and get the repairs you need without having to worry. This means that a qualified engineer will be round to fix your boiler and you know that the costs of the parts, labour and call out are covered by your insurance. If you don’t have boiler cover, this could result in you having to phone in a local tradesman without the guarantee of them being round quickly and doing the job effectively- you could also end up paying a lot of money! But, bear in mind some homecare insurance plans do cover your boiler already, so check before buying.

You can get two types of boiler cover: A service contract and an insurance product. A service contract includes an annual inspection and service of your boiler as part of the plan and is subject to VAT at 17.5%, whereas this will cost extra on an insurance product but the tax is regulated by the FSA and can be as little as 5%. In addition to this you will need to decide whether you want just the boiler and the controls covered, or the entire heating system. It is cheaper just to insure the boiler, but it does offer less cover if something drastic goes wrong. Some companies will only insure you up to a certain amount, which is usually around £1500 and not all of them have unlimited free call outs.

Rather than just having the cover to help solve the problem when it arises, you should take extra measures to make sure you catch the problem early on. A CO (Carbon Monoxide) detector will let you know as soon as harmful levels of CO enter your house and if you see problem with your boiler you should call someone right away rather than leaving it to chance or, worse, trying to fix it yourself. You also don’t have to use the cover that comes with your boiler provider- you can use a completely different company without changing your heating supplier if you find a better deal elsewhere. If you rent your property, it is your landlord’s responsibility to ensure you have boiler cover and regular checks to make sure everything is safe and in working order.

Most insurers will have a 24 hour emergency call centre to help you if you need it, but make sure your definition of an emergency is the same as there’s- some don’t class loss of heating in the summer months an emergency (even if it’s a British summer!) and at one point British gas stopped classing lack of hot water an emergency, though that has been altered now.

Comments are closed.