Holiday homes insurance can refer to two different things- insuring your home when you’re away on holiday, or insuring the home you go on holiday to.

Usually, if you go away for a long period of time the insurance on your home can be deemed void because you’ve as good as moved to another address for a set amount of time. Once you return the insurance comes back into play, but any damaged that happens whilst you’re gone remains uninsured- so always make sure you have a neighbour or friend you can trust to keep an eye on your home whilst you’re away. Some companies will let you extend your home insurance to cover your house when you’re away for long periods of time, so it’s worth checking with your insurer when you take out the policy if you know this may be the case at some point.

In regards to insuring your holiday home, you can insure the contents and the building the same as you would your normal house- bearing in mind you may lose the insurance on it when you’re not living there. However, if you’re renting the place out to other people in the mean time you can cover it under your holiday home insurance as a rental property and keep the insurance on it and keep your own home insurance at the same time. Also, renting your property out when you’re not using it will give you a nice second income. Because it’s marked as a rental property you can get extra cover for damage and loss of rent or possessions in it and even extras like swimming pool cover and sports equipment cover.

Simply put, holiday home cover is the same as any other home cover with the only difference being that the house is in a different country or area to you and may occasionally be a rented house. This makes finding insurance for it much simpler than you’d expect, as second home insurance is very common.

Comments are closed.